Monday, January 7, 2013

crazy china

I have more I could say about Hong Kong. But I am now in Korea and need to try to write a few blogs before I come home. (Let me just say that time is disturbingly close.) I will impart a little bit of advice for travelers to Hong Kong. Hike every available day, use and love the mtr (the subway station), eat waffle balls and street vegetables, and bring some good friends. Onto China. We arrived in Shanghai a few days before Christmas. The first night coming back from the local joint I ran into my friend Addison. I had completely forgotten that he was in China and felt extremely lucky that I had happened to pass him on the street, a fortunate coincidence. Shanghai itself is an amazing city, with one of the best skylines we have seen. This incredible city is where we spent our Christmas. While there were tears as people reached the realization they wouldn't see their family, we managed to have a good time anyway, secret Santa providing both entertainment and insight into how close we have become. I cant go any farther without talking about my first irreconcilable difference with China. There are no vegetarians in China. Not a single one. I told our tour guide Bruce (who by the way is a legend, best guide so far) I was vegetarian and he frowned and looked at me before saying. "Well I can order vegetables special for you, but they will be cooked in meat sauce." It only took a few rounds of being quite sick before I decided to stick to rice. At another restaurant we told the waiter I was a vegetarian. He showed up with a dish and a smile on his face. He placed it in front of me and exclaimed "no worries. No meat. Only chicken!" And so it went. One morning, at a meat filled breakfast I noticed I was the only one given a plastic cup. Somewhat sourly I commented on this fact. Cianna broke in with her best Chinese accent and said "special vegetarian cup for you! Washed with no meat sauce only chicken!" I almost fell out of my chair laughing. If you can not laugh at your misfortunes, they will certainly control you. After Shanghai, we took the bullet train to Beijing, via the city of Tai 'an, where we stopped and climbed the mountain. It was very cold but the top was well worth it, splendid views and a little villiage clinging to the summit. Due to the cold and the number of old Chinese ladies pointing and excliaming things excitedly in mandarin, the rest of the group convinced me to give up my wool socks and tevas and buy real shoes. Boo. Despite flashbacks to my train ride of death in thailand, we made it to Beijing without incident. In Beijing we found many cool sights, a great fleamarket where Elise bargained like a native, a side little store where I picked up the hobbit for one us dollar (there is no way it works), grocery stores with unconventional food selections (hot and sour fish soup pringles), the olympic stadiums, and a five story bookstore. The best things were of course tiananmen square and the Great Wall. Bruce told us that you're not a real hero until you have climbed the great wall and we are now all heroes. We were invited to a new years eve party that was weird, interesting, and fun. It was put on by the Chinese government, and took place on a frozen lake in front of the famous summer palace. Once I was reassured it was not a Chinese conspiracy I had a great time. So if you can stand the food, big brother restricting google, facebook, and youtube, the rudeness of Chinese people on train stations (the concept of lines has never occurred to them), smog, and a government that restricts basic human rights then go to China. And if you can not handle those things then go anyway, for one simple reason. Chinese children are the most photogenic things in the entire world. You will shamelessly capture every Chinese child you see. We certainly did. Next post I'll explain why I have already decided to return to Korea, and why they are the nicest people ever. Jordan (P.s. one last thing. I've fallen in love with funny English translations. I will provide examples once I get a chance to upload pictures.)

No comments:

Post a Comment