Friday, September 28, 2012

Luxor and Hurghada

This past week we left for an excursion outside of Cairo. We flew first to historic Luxor for two days then spent three nights in a beach resort in the new tourist hot spot of Egypt; Hurghada. In Luxor we were led by a capable tour guide through ancient tombs and temples, as well as the luxor museum and even a place where they still make real papyrus. We rose early in the morning to beat the heat (my watch was reading 38°C by noon) then would spend the rest of the day chilling by the pool or in the shade of our balcony. We lunched at the local Egyptian falafel place.

Let's take a moment to talk about food. Our daily falafel cost us 5 Egyptians pound, which is just short of one American dollar in Zamelak, our home in Cairo, we can get it for 2. And its the best thing I've ever eaten. Why we wasted our time in the other restaurants for pizza, pasta, or rice is a mystery to me. (With the exceptions of crepes and bagels, my other main food groups). I also found McVities chocolate digestives in the store, the England crowd will appreciate my excitement over that find. But back to falafel. I would put up with the heat, the garbage, and even the occasional harassment just to eat that stuff everyday.

Anyway, after luxor we got back on a plane for Hurghada. Dear reader I will not lie to you. This second visit had not an ounce of educational value. We spent three days on the beach, swimming, playing frisbee, sunbathing (or for me reading and writing in the shade), snorkeling, eating at the hotel buffet, and more besides. Personally my favorite time was after dark when the other tourists had finally left the beach and the moon and stars (hidden from us in Cairo and Istanbul) shone accross the expanse of deep blue water. This is when I did most of my swimming too, despite the many jokes i recieved about eels and sharks in the night (Jakob, Ted, and Will it was much like our time at unistar... just... you know... in Egypt).

It was a great break for most of our group. I must admit I am not a huge beach person and began to grow restless by the third day. After all one can only apply spf 50 sunscreen so many times in a day before starting to resent the sun. Not that I will complain, I must admit we had a little chuckle to ourselves when we realized most of our friends would be in class during our afternoon swim. Alas such things can not last and we have returned to Cairo and our hectic schedule once again.

More to follow soon. Pictures too. Also heads up to those who use my st. Olaf email address. I can receive emails and reply to threads but can not generate emails since Olaf is blocking my contacts from being downloaded to my kindle (go figure). I'm trying to get some addresses through stalkernet so I can email my friends. Until I figure it out just assume I'm ok and am not neglecting you!



- JT

No comments:

Post a Comment